- Rollins would approve trade to the Dodgers
- Hoyer expected to leave in free agency
- Marshall has two broken ribs
- Browns not going to Manziel just yet
- Brodeur signs one-year deal with Blues
- Mathieu needs thumb surgery
- Pettine kills West for fumble
- Browns rule out Cameron…again
- Bradley on Bortles: “We expect more”
- Lester to visit Cardinals next week
Report: Donatell “likely” to be Eagles next defensive coordinator
- Updated: January 22, 2013
Philadelphia Eagles fans are salivating for news on who will be filling out Chip Kelly’s coaching staff. We already know that Pat Shurmur will be running his offense, and now we’re getting reports of who could be heading up the defensive side of the ball.
WIP’s Howard Eskin is told by two NFL sources that the Eagles have lined up San Francisco 49ers secondary coach Ed Donatell for the job of defensive coordinator.
“2 NFL sources and another report have #49ers DB Ch Ed Donatell likely 2 B #Eagles DC for C. Kelly. Kelly knew Donatell as DC at U of Wash,” Eskin says on Twitter, in a tweet that probably took 30-35 minutes to compose and squash into 140 characters. He could have been scooped by the time he got that to fit.
Donatell’s name has come up in the last week or so as a potential fit for the spot, but who knows if this is accurate. Eskin also told us that the Eagles were likely to start Foles against the New Orleans Saints, even though he didn’t play for a couple more weeks (and that was due to a Vick injury).
This could be a bit odd if we are to believe the reports that Kelly would like to install a 3-4 defense. Donatell runs a 4-3. So who the hell knows, we don’t know what to believe. How about we wait until the Eagles make an official announcement and then we’ll all find out together?