- Julio expected to play
- Rollins would approve trade to the Dodgers
- Hoyer expected to leave in free agency
- Marshall has two broken ribs
- Browns not going to Manziel just yet
- Brodeur signs one-year deal with Blues
- Mathieu needs thumb surgery
- Pettine kills West for fumble
- Browns rule out Cameron…again
- Bradley on Bortles: “We expect more”
Burke fired in Toronto…timing a little odd?
- Updated: January 9, 2013
Twitter is aghast at the news that the Toronto Maple Leafs have fired general manager Brian Burke. I can’t say that I’m entirely shocked, but wouldn’t you agree that the timing is a little curious? You can fire employees during a lockout, right?
Regardless, I would think that if the Leafs were genuinely unhappy with his job performance (as they probably should be), that they would have canned him right after the season.
I mean, you only really need to look at one fact: Burke has been the general manager since 2008 and they haven’t made the playoffs during that time. What else do you want to know? Wait until we see how the JVR trade pans out?
The Leafs finished 13th in the conference last year and something needed to be done. Many think it’s about time that Burke was shown the door; I just think the timing is a little odd.