- Klay Thompson scores NBA record 37 points in a quarter
- Ravens cut Cody amid animal cruelty allegations
- Malkin to miss All Star Game, no one cares
- Kobe Bryant needs to retire
- Rinaldo facing suspension for hit on Letang (video)
- Brady said he likes deflated balls
- Thomas has shoulder injury, will play in Super Bowl
- Bears tab Ryan Pace as new general manager
- Kyle Shanahan out in Cleveland
- Winston accuser files Title IX lawsuit
Twitter Athlete of the Week: OSU’s Cardale Jones
- Updated: October 10, 2012
And today’s award is for Twitter Athlete of the Week, which is presented once every two months. The winner? Cardale Jones from Ohio State! Congratulations, Cardale! You won!
And let’s see what tweet earned you this prestigious award. Cardale took to Twitter this week to have an intellectual discussion about the role of classes in the lives of student athletes and how these classes can enrich their lives to make them more well-rounded citizens.
“Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain’t come to play SCHOOL classes are POINTLESS,” Jones tweeted.
Cardale is too busy for classes because he’s extremely engulfed in studying the playbook as the third-string quarterback. What if the starter gets hurt during a game? And then, what if his backup also gets banged up? Cardale has to go in the game! He needs to be prepared! Knowing works of Voltaire isn’t going to help him identify the blitz of Central Michigan!
In reality, there is probably truth in his eloquent tweet that didn’t contradict itself in anyway or display any irony. Many student athletes find ways – or are helped to find ways – around classes. That’s just the deal. But, we think that this tweet is utterly hysterical coming from a guy who hasn’t played all year.
So, congratulations, Cardale! You’re OTR‘s Twitter Athlete of the Week!